The MG34 was first produced and accepted into service in 1934. It was first issued to German units in 1935. It accepts the 7.92 x 57mm Mauser cartridge. It was designed to perform both as a light machine gun and classic infantry support weapon. The MG34 was used as an infantry machine gun during the 1930s, and remained as the primary tank and aircraft defensive weapon throughout WW2.